Monday, September 24, 2012

Cleaning Microfiber

When we bought our house 4 months ago we had no furniture at all, so we had the budget buster pleasure of furnishing the whole house. When we bought our sofa, I wasn't exactly thinking about the damage that a little boy would do to it. I was told that microfiber is pretty durable, but I was not aware of how it shows water marks very easily. So mix a sofa that shows every bit of water that has ever touched it and a little boy who constantly has a spit goatee, and you get one nasty spotted cushions.

Well, I had gotten to the point of not being able to stand my disgusting marked up sofa any longer, so I got on the computer and did some searching. I found some great tutorials for cleaning microfiber and decided to give it a try. I was a little leery, but I still had the back of the cushions, so if it went terribly wrong I could just turn the cushions over. But, I am here to report that it work like a champ, and my cushions look great again! So for any of you out there with a slobbery microfiber couch, here's what you do:

First here's a before picture (don't judge me)


Supplies
Rubbing Alcohol

Spray bottle

 White sponge or rag

white dish scrub brush
1. Poor rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle and saturate the stain. Don't completely drench it, just make sure it is wet.

2. Scrub the stain with your rag or sponge. Don't be afraid to put some oomph into, you won't hurt anything. Using a white sponge will prevent any color bleeding onto your cushions. You could also use the color of your cushions if you have it.

3. Wait for the alcohol to dry, it won't take long. Once it dries it might feel a little stiff. Don't panic, that is where the scrub brush comes in. Take your brush and rub it on the couch in a swirl motion to fluff it back up.

4. Bam! Done! Easy right. When I finished there were still some water marks, so I just redid those and scrubbed a little harder

Now for the after pictures.

I was a little worried that it would stink, but it really wasn't to bad, and once it dried you couldn't smell it at all. Also, it seemed a little counter productive to spray liquid on water marks to remove them, but since the alcohol dries so fast it wont leave new water marks. I will probably be doing this many more times.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! We have a microfiber sectional and we scotch gaurded it but we still get water marks sometimes. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so much better!Love your pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up!!! I just did this yesterday!! Why are we so in sync?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good tip! My poor Microfiber couch fights with my three kids. I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! I don't have any microfiber yet but I will keep this trick in mind!

    xx,
    Erin
    http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out so clean!! I would have never guessed it was stained in the first place. I have a microfiber couch so this could definitely come in handy in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between Owen and Monster my couch is starting to look this way, too! Thanks for the tips! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an improvement! I am going to have to remember this. I was at my moms yesterday and in about 20 minutes there was spit up and pee all over her sofa! Oops!!

    ReplyDelete

You want to leave me a note? Thank you, I LOVE that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...